Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Reflections

This morning I attended the first session of the bible study that I signed up for at church. It is called, Helping Your Children Know God by Bob Lepine. There will be 7 of us there but only 5 were there today along with our leader. So far I think that I am really going to like this study. On the way home I even was writing in my head what I wanted to put down here for everyone to read. But, of course, once I was home there were phone calls and stuff to do around the house that now I don't remember that much of what I was going to write about. So I'll do my best to remember what I was thinking at the time.

The first session/chapter is Getting to Know God. The first verse that we looked at was Deuteronomy 6:5-9. Here it is if you would like to read it:

5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

WOW! When you look at this you really realize how much you are the teacher for your children to know God! Yes, I did know that but here it is in black and white.

We then were asked: What do you think are the primary things about God that children need to understand? There were some wonderful answers from everyone there from wanting our children to know that God will always love you no matter what to wanting them to know that he is Omnipresent and Omnipotent when they are older.

Then on the way home while reflecting on the whole class the song Made To Love by Toby Mac came on to the radio. What timing! The chorus is:

That I was made to love You
I was made to find You
I was made just for You
Made to adore You
I was made to love and be loved by You
You were here before me
You were waiting on me
And You said You’d keep me never would You leave me
I was made to love
And be loved by You

This is really what God wants! Luckily this is one of Sam's favorite songs and will sing it just about anywhere. Here is a short video of Toby Mac explaining this song:


If you would like to hear the whole song here is a video that someone put together using random pictures. The words to the song are on there but some of them are hard to read. But you will get the idea.


And to be able to teach this to our kids...how awesome is that! We go to church tonight and I am so grateful that Sam loves to go. He loves the children's program that they have there. My prayer is that all children were just as excited about church and learning about God as my own son is.

Next week I'm hoping to be able to write some more but this time I'll do it first instead of it fading from my mind. I'm also mainly writing this down here so that it will help me remember what I was feeling and or thinking as I learn how to help my child know God better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails