Friday, April 24, 2009

Cedar Ridge Preserve

I've been meaning to write about last Saturday all week but I just never got around to it. Last weekend Sam and I were supposed to be camping at the Dinosaur Valley State Park near Glen Rose TX, with the scouts. But there were terrible thunderstorms on Thursday evening and all day Friday. So it was cancelled. Sam and I were not to happy that we didn't get to go. On Saturday once the misty rain that was still in the air left the area we got into the car and went to the Cedar Ridge Preserve to hike. We had a ton of fun and I loved watching Sam observe all the nature around him. We went to three of their areas, the Butterfly Garden, Little Bluestem Trail and the Bluebonnet Trail. Oh and somewhere in there we took a wrong turn, doubled back and also took part of the Mulberry Trail. These trails were "ranked" wheelchair accessible, easy and moderate. There are even easy-moderate, moderate-difficult and difficult trails. The Bluebonnet Trail that we took was rated moderate and I must tell you that we were worn out after we were done. My definition of moderate sure didn't meet theirs. But the part I remember most is the smile on Sam's face as we did it. We will go back. Maybe even tomorrow if the weather holds out. Don't know which trail we'll do next but we'll do a different one for sure. Of course, I took my camera and took a ton of pictures. I put together a slide show of some of them (see below) and I also wanted to share with you just a handful of my favorites. Remember that you can click on the pictures to see them bigger.

This is just one of many beautiful poppies that we saw in the Butterfly Gardens.
Sam loved and I can't state it loud enough for you....LOVED....looking at the snails. Since we had so much rain there were snails everywhere. At one point, once we started on the moderate trail, I had to remind him that he had to watch where he was going instead of trying not to step on the snails.
I loved the fact that I was able to capture the rain drops on the flowers that we saw in the Butterfly Gardens. The smell of these roses were heavenly.
When we got off the right trail we rain into a lot of sticky mud. At one point our shoes had so much mud on them we both felt like we had 5-10 pound weights on our feet. This picture was taken after we had stomped off some of the mud. And in case you are wondering...yes, my 9 year old son has bigger feet than I.

Towards the end of the last trail that we were on we found this tree. I love the way that it bends and twists.


7 comments:

CindyMae said...

Your pictures are just amazing! Sorry about the storms, those were probably the same storms that I got those awesome lightening shots! At least you did end up having a good time!!!

Anonymous said...

(cue the music) Raindrops on roses....these are a few of my favorite things!

The photos are great. I like the tree. It's always fun to me to find trees that grow in interesting ways like that.

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Oh, I LOVE love love the muddy feet picture. :) Great shots. The twisted tree is pretty cool.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog. I love the pictures of flowers and nature. It would be so fun to on that walk through the trail.

Nicole said...

You look like you had a bunch of fun!
:D
Lovely pictures! I especially like the one where he shows the snail, what a radiant smile :D

Gayle said...

What a beautiful place to go hiking. So many options for children where you are...not quite the same here.

Gal Friday said...

I love that twisty tree, and the rest of your hike photos. It looks much greener with growing things already down where you are...(we are still geting there..)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails